The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) international scholarship programme, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
The Rhodes Scholarships for the United States
The Rhodes Scholarships for the United States cover the 50 states of the US, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. There is a total of 32 Rhodes Scholarships available each year.
The Scholarships in the United States are administered by 16 regional selection committees as detailed below, each awarding two Scholarships:
- District 1 – Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont
- District 2 – Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey
- District 3 – New York–South
- District 4 – New York–North, Pennsylvania
- District 5 – Delaware, Maryland/DC
- District 6 – Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina
- District 7 – Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
- District 8 – Oklahoma, Texas
- District 9 – Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia
- District 10 – Illinois, Ohio
- District 11 – Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, West Virginia
- District 12 – Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee
- District 13 – Colorado, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
- District 14 – Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- District 15 – Arizona, California–North, Hawaii, Nevada
- District 16 – American Samoa, California–South, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands
Opening date: 1 July 2022
Closing date: 23:59, Eastern Time, 03 October 2022
For full information on the application process for the Rhodes Scholarships for the United States of America, including detailed eligibility criteria, please visit the Rhodes Trust Office of the American Secretary website.
As the Rhodes Scholarships are place-based, the eligibility criteria, application requirements and selection process vary slightly depending on which constituency you are applying for. To ensure that you have all of the information you need to apply, please read the Information for Candidates carefully. You should also check the Conditions of Tenure to ensure that your proposed course of study is covered by the Rhodes Scholarship and share the Guidance for Referees with your referees. These documents can all be accessed below.
If you have read all of the information above and are ready to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship, you can use the below button to to start the application process. Make sure to check the opening and closing dates above as the form won’t be available outside of these dates!
If you need any support with your application, please use the navigation bar to reach our Additional Resources pages.
The application process is explained as you navigate through the pages outlined in the navigation below.
National Secretary for the United States
Selection for the Rhodes Scholarships takes place in each constituency and is overseen by the relevant National Secretary and their team. Below you can find out who the National Secretary is and how to contact them should you need to.
Mr Elliot Gerson