Welcome to the information page about the Rhodes Scholarships for India.
Each year, there are five Scholarships available for India to enable outstanding students - chosen on the basis of exceptional intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service - to study at the University of Oxford. The first Indian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1947, and since that time nearly two hundred Indians have been awarded this prestigious scholarship.
Many have achieved notable distinction, including:
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia (India & Magdalen 1964), prominent economic policy-maker. He is Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission of India and has previously served as the first Director of the Independent Evaluation Office, International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Girish Karnad (India & Magdalen 1960), contemporary writer, playwright, actor and film director. He is a recipient of the Jnanpith Award, the highest literary honour conferred in India, for his contributions to Kannada literature and theatre.
- Lavanya Rajamani (India & Hertford 1996), advisor and writer on international environmental law, in particular international climate change law and policy. She is a professor at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi.
- Mahesh Rangarajan (India & Balliol 1986), researcher, author and historian with a special interest in environmental history and colonial history of British India. He is also a political commentator and a psephologist.
Applications for the Rhodes Scholarships for 2015 for India are now open: click here. Applications will close on 31 July 2014.
To see the press release about the Scholars-elect class of 2014, please click here.
Prospective applicants from India should carefully review:
1. the general information about the Rhodes Scholarships,
2. the selection criteria that apply in all Rhodes constituencies, and then
3. the application criteria specific to India (2015 India Memorandum).
There are FAQs which are applicable to all applicants.
National Secretary for India:
Professor Vir Chauhan
The Rhodes Scholarships in India
International Centre for Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology
PO Box 10504
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg
New Delhi 110067
Telephone: +91 11 2674 1260
Fax: +91 11 2674 2316