This weekend saw the 2016 Second Year Scholar retreat taking place at Rhodes House. Over three days, Scholars explored in depth the theme of "Building the Good Life: Purpose, Meaning and Balance".
- What is your work in the world?
- Conflicts between work, life and duty
- Risk, failure and courage
- Money, Power and Institutions: Need, Value, Use
- Gratitude and Humility
- Friendships, relationships and mentors
- Re-creation - Reflection, culture, art and spirituality
- Wellness and mindfulness
Nicholas Kristof speaking to Scholars. The format is based around a series of readings, talks and discussions, with sessions being moderated by Senior Scholars. Talks were given by: Charles Conn (Massachusetts & Balliol 1983), Warden of Rhodes House; Nicholas Kristof (Oregon & Magdalen 1981), American journalist, author, op-ed columnist, and a winner of two Pulitzer Prizes; and Eusebius McKaiser (South Africa-at-Large & St Antony's 2013), political and social analyst at the Wits Centre for Ethics and popular radio talk show host.
Rhodes Scholars discuss the Service and Leadership programme in this video: