Welcome to the homepage of the Canadian Association of Rhodes Scholars (CARS). If you would like further information about the Association, please contact the President, Mark Schaan (Manitoba & New College 2002).
The first Canadian Rhodes Scholars took up residence in Oxford in 1904, and since that time over a thousand Canadians have been awarded a Scholarship. These include:
- Allan Blakeney, Premier of Saskatchewan from 1971 to 1982
- Chrystia Freeland, member of Canadian Parliament, for Toronto Centre, writer and journalist
- Justice Eileen Gillese, of the Court of Appeal for Ontario
- Roxanne Joyal, co-CEO of Me to We and a founding member of Free The Children
- David Lewis, former leader of the federal New Democratic Party, and one of its original architects
- Roland Michener, former Governor-General of Canada, Canadian High Commissioner to India, and Speaker of the Canadian House of Commons
- Professor David Naylor, former President of the University of Toronto
- Bob Rae, former leader of the Leader of Liberal Party
- John Turner, former Prime Minister
- Danny Williams, Premier of Newfoundland from 2003 to 2010.
- Connecting current and Senior Scholars with each other, through events and communications.
- Promoting the visibility and standing of the Rhodes Scholarship in Canada
- To disseminate information about the Scholarship and about Scholars in a regular e-Newsletter.
- Strengthening the Rhodes Scholarship through financial support from Senior Scholars and other sources.
Events: These will be organised locally, and upcoming CARS events can be seen on the Rhodes Events webpage. Please do get in touch if you would like to organise or host an event.
How to organise regional meetings of Rhodes Scholars: The Association is more than happy to help Scholars organise regional gatherings. Please contact us to let us know and we will help identify who lives within that particular region and can contact them on your behalf.
- Michaelmas 2015/Hilary 2016
- Hilary/Trinity term 2014
- Michaelmas term 2013
- Trinity term 2013
- Hilary term 2013
- Michaelmas term 2012
The editor of the newsletter, Katie Sheehan (Ontario & Merton 2002) can be contacted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.