The Mandela Rhodes Foundation Trustees met at Rhodes House yesterday for their annual meeting and today the life of Nelson Mandela was celebrated through the work of speed painter Michaël Raivard. Read More
The Warden of Rhodes House
The Warden of Rhodes House, Oxford, is the global CEO of the Rhodes Trust and the Rhodes Scholarships. The current Warden is Mr Charles Conn (Massachusetts & Balliol 1983).
Wardens of Rhodes House
- Sir Francis Wylie, 1903-1931 (previously Fellow & Tutor, Brasenose College, Oxford)
- Sir Carleton Allen, 1931-1952 (previously Professor of Jurisprudence and Fellow of University College, Oxford)
- Sir Edgar Williams, 1952-1980 (previously Fellow & Tutor in History, Balliol College, Oxford; Chief of Intelligence to Montgomery in World War II)
- Dr Robin Fletcher, 1980-1989 (previously Fellow & Bursar of Trinity College, Oxford; Olympian (field hockey))
- Sir Anthony Kenny, 1989-1999 (previously Master of Balliol College, Oxford; also Pro Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, and President of the British Academy)
- Dr John Rowett, 1999-2004 (previously Fellow & Tutor in History, Brasenose College, Oxford; subsequently Secretary-General of the Association of Commonwealth Universities)
- Sir Colin Lucas, 2004-2009 (previously Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, and Master of Balliol College, Oxford)
- Dr Donald Markwell, (Queensland & Trinity 1981), 2009-2012 (previously Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education), University of Western Australia; Warden of Trinity College, University of Melbourne; Fellow & Tutor in Politics, Merton College, Oxford)
- Dr Andrew Graham, Acting Warden 2012-2013 (previously Master of Balliol College, Oxford)
- Mr Charles Conn, (Massachusetts & Balliol 1983), 2013- (previously Senior Advisor to the Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation and co-founder of Citysearch)
Mr Charles Conn (Massachusetts & Balliol 1983)
Before taking up the Wardenship, Mr Conn was Senior Advisor to the Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation. At the Moore Foundation his conservation projects included the preservation of wild salmon ecosystems and the Palmyra Atoll biological research station. His investment company, Redjuice Capital, focused on technology and clean energy companies and he sits on several company and non-profit boards or advisory committees, including Patagonia, the Arcadia Foundation, the Oxford Internet Institute and the Atlantic Salmon Foundation. Charles is also a Professorial Fellow of Balliol College.
Earlier in his career, Mr Conn was the CEO of Ticketmaster-Citysearch, having co-founded Citysearch in 1995 and overseen the merger with Ticketmaster and the company’s public share offering. Prior to starting TMCS, Charles was a Partner with McKinsey & Company, and a leader of its growth strategy and energy practices.
In 1997 the California Software Industry Council named him Entrepreneur of the Year and in 2001 he was selected as a Henry Crown Fellow of the Aspen Institute. Mr Conn holds a BA from Boston University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. During his time in Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, Charles achieved First Class Honours in Philosophy, Politics and Economics. He is a citizen of both Canada and the United States.