The application process for Rhodes Scholarships for 2013 is underway, with applications now open in most Rhodes constituencies around the world.
Applications are now open for:
- Australia (closing date 3 September 2012)
- Bermuda (closing date 19 October 2012)
- Canada (closing date 12 October 2012)
- Germany (closing date 30 September 2012)
- Hong Kong (closing date 24 September 2012)
- India (closing date 31 July 2012)
- Jamaica and the Commonwealth Caribbean (closing date 30 September 2012)
- Kenya (closing date 31 August 2012)
- New Zealand (closing date 1 August 2012)
- Pakistan (closing date 31 August 2012)
- Southern Africa (closing date 15 August 2012)
- Zambia (closing date 10 October 2012)
- Zimbabwe (closing date 31 August 2012).
Applications for Rhodes Scholarships in the United States will open in early July, with a closing date of 3 October 2012.
Rhodes Scholars are chosen on the basis of outstanding intellect, character, capacity for leadership, and commitment to service.
The Rhodes Trust warmly encourages and welcomes applications from talented young women and men of diverse backgrounds. Selection of Rhodes Scholars is made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
Almost every year Rhodes Scholars are elected who come from universities or colleges which have never before produced a Rhodes Scholar.
Applicants should consult the general information about the Rhodes Scholarships and selection criteria that apply in all Rhodes constituencies, and then the country-specific page for the constituency they are applying from, which can be found here. There is also a universally-applicable list of FAQs.
You may be interested to read about the Rhodes class of 2012 and the Rhodes class of 2011. Their short biographies reflect just some of the very many diverse ways in which students can meet the Rhodes criteria.
The vibrant life of the Rhodes Scholar community in Oxford is reflected in the 'Glimpses of Rhodes' videos, and here.
The diversity of Rhodes alumni is reflected, for example, in the 'Scholar of the Week' feature on this website. Aspects of the impact of Rhodes Scholars are reflected here, and Rhodes alumni discuss their Rhodes Scholarship experiences here.