About the Scholarship
The CRSF scholarship programme offers graduates of Oxford University an opportunity to study at a Canadian university. Canada has a young and highly diverse, multi-lingual society which offers a unique perspective on contemporary issues. The scholarship is funded by Oxford alumni who were Rhodes Scholars from Canada, and others who support the Foundation's objectives.
The CRSF scholarship covers full-time postgraduate study in Canada for up to two years at any Canadian University. For news of the 2016 CRSF Scholar, click here: Prashant Pandey (2016) and for 2015, click here: Joseph Cock (2015).
The CRSF Scholarship offers:
- A chance to compete for a prestigious scholarship funding full-time graduate study in Canada, modelled on the Rhodes Scholarships
- A chance to study in your area of choice. The Scholarship is open to all disciplines—there are no restrictions on the university or course of study you can choose. Aspiring applicants are encouraged to approach the University of their Choice before the selection process to check their academic requirements for entry
- Full payment of all tuition fees, a personal stipend (approx. C$16,000 per year) and a travel allowance of CA$ 1,000 for travel to Canada and CA$ 1,000 for travel within Canada, while on stipend
- Access to Canada’s world class universities with state of the art research facilities. Previous scholars have studied at, among others, McGill, Dalhousie, Toronto and British Columbia. (Information about graduate studies in Canada can be obtained from the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada here)
As is the case with Rhodes Scholars, CRSF scholars are selected based on:
- academic excellence
- criteria of character and evidence of leadership potential
- extra-curricular involvement
Citizenship & residency: Applicants must be citizens of the United Kingdom who have graduated from the University of Oxford within 12 months of the application process, or who will graduate in the current academic year.
Age: Applicants must be under 26 years of age on 31 December 2016.
The CRSF warmly welcomes applications from talented young women and men of diverse backgrounds. Selection of CRSF Scholars is made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
How to apply
Please submit a written application comprising:
- Your Curriculum Vitae/resumé or list of principal activities
- Evidence of your academic record / transcript (complete or in progress) - undergraduate degree and any postgraduate study
- Evidence of age (birth certificate / passport)
- A personal statement or essay including:
- a clear statement of what you wish to study and why
- universities being considered
- estimated duration of course proposed
- intended career path
- details of commitments and accomplishments
Keep in mind that the personal statement is your chance to tell your story: who are you? What matters to you? What are you hoping to do in the world? Your academic transcript, your CV/ resumé and your reference letters will provide the substantive detail of your commitments and accomplishments, but this essay gives you the opportunity to cast the overarching narrative of who you are for the selection committee.
Applications should be addressed to: The Warden of Rhodes House, Attention CRSFS, and be submitted by email before the closing date to email@example.com . The closing date will be advertised later in 2017.
Please identify four referees, including the Head of your College at Oxford, and two tutors or supervisors able to confirm your qualifications for advanced work in your chosen field at a Canadian University.
NOTE: References must be able to attest to both the character and the intellect of the applicant, including academic, personal, extra-curricular and leadership achievements (referees should not include people to whom you are related).
References should be sent by your referees directly to: Warden of Rhodes House/CRSFS, Rhodes House, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3RG before the closing date.
The address of the CRSFS Foundation is: 1913 Highridge Avenue, Ottawa, ON, K1H 5H1, Canada.