The 83-strong Rhodes class of 2014 has been elected after a rigorous global selection process. Read More
The Rhodes Scholarships for Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland)
Welcome to the information page for the Rhodes Scholarships in Southern Africa. These pages provide constituency-specific information on Rhodes Scholarships to Oxford for applicants from South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland.
The Scholarships for these countries are administered from a regional secretariat based in Johannesburg.
- four Scholarships every year for applicants from South Africa-at-Large,
- one for applicants from KwaZulu-Natal,
- one for applicants from Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland, and
- one each for applicants of or from Diocesan College, Rondebosch; South African College School, Newlands; Paul Roos Gymnasium, Stellenbosch; and St Andrew's College, Grahamstown (including their identified partner schools, which are listed here).
Information about Rhodes Scholars elected for Southern African and around the world can be found in biographies of the the Rhodes class of 2013, the Rhodes class of 2012 and the Rhodes class of 2011.
Several Scholars from Southern Africa have been featured as Scholar of the Week on this website. You may also wish to view video interviews with Rhodes alumni, and to visit the page for the Association of Southern African Rhodes Scholars.
Applications are now closed for the Rhodes Scholarships for 2014 for Southern Africa.
Prospective applicants from Southern Africa should carefully review:
2. the selection criteria that apply in all Rhodes constituencies and then
3. the application criteria specific to Southern Africa.
There are FAQs which are applicable to all applicants.
Mr Justice Edwin Cameron is the General Secretary for the Rhodes Scholarships in Southern Africa.
To view his contact information, as well as contact information for the Secretaries throughout Southern Africa, visit the Southern African Secretaries page.